Friday 18 May 2007

Filmage (Spoilers)



I finally got round to watching Pan's Labyrinth, which is as brilliant as the general public are making it out to be. I'd review it, as such, but I can't match the reviewing genius of 'a customer' from 'bridlington'.



On Lovefilm.co.uk 'A Customer' writes:

"Set in Fascist Spain in 1944, the two main characters, the Captain and the girl are very hard to empathise with. The violence was genuinely nasty and the fantasy scenes were very dark and brooding. I lost sympathy with the girl when she caused the death of 2 fairies through her wanton refusal to obey simple instructions.Not sure who this is aimed at. In summary too long and too unpleasant."


What a critique! I can't stop laughing about the reviewer taking offence at the death of the faries!


Rent it, or buy it. It's truly excellent.









Next up we watched 'The Lady in The Water'. I've liked all M. Night Shyamalan's films. His last few movies have took a critical slating, but been hugely successful regardless. I saw him on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart' whilst he was on the promotional treadmill for 'The Lady in The Water', and he came across as a really likeable man. I loved the fact that he took the critical mauling well and reacted accordingly by adding a film critic into the movie, solely to have him physically mauled!


Again, no review for you from me. This time I can't compete with lovefilm viewer 'Emma Carter', who writes:


"this film is the longest 1 hour 40 minutes of my life, even after i watched it i dont have a clue what happened during the film and i think it was possibly the worst film i have ever seen"


The film has a couple of flaws, but overall was thoroughly entertaining. Paul Giamatti was in it, so it must be good, right?