Tuesday 24 April 2007

Horse Cow



We went to Dunstall Park (Wolverhampton Racecoure) at the weekend. It was the grand opening of their new restaurant ‘Horizons’.

We arrived just in time for a free cocktail and a £10 free bet from Ladbrookes. Not being a betting man, and not ever having been to a horseracing event before, I wasn’t too bothered about placing a bet, as I’ll never win!

We got seated at our table, that’s Me, Lisa, Marie and Mark (Lisa’s sister and her fiancée), and my Mom with her fella Derek. We have a nice view of the track, and our first drink is free. We come to order. I have no starter, but Rib eye Steak in Ale on Rustic Potatoes for the main course, and Sticky Toffee Pudding with Hot Custard for desert, followed by Coffee. All Gratis. This should’ve cost £50!! I’d never pay more than £15 for a meal. I’m not a stinge, I’ve just got priorities.

And so Mom placed her bet, and alas, her horse came last. I complained that I’d rather have two five-pound bets, but I won’t win anyway so it doesn’t matter. I decide to bet on a horse named Succeed, as it’s the polar opposite to my expectations of the evening. After returning to the table, everyone is laughing at me. I’ve backed a non-runner. Off I trundle back to the betting table, and they give me £10 cash back!! Result, everyone has a voucher, I have hard cash!


I start to get into the spirit of things, and decided to place two £10 bets. One which inevitably loses, and another ‘Littledodayno’ that comes in first!! I win £27.50. Result.

So, to recap. Six people had a meal that was £50 a head, free entry which should’ve been £20 a head, six free drinks £18, £64 of free bets, and a £27.50 payout to me. Total £529.50. We paid £0, and I ended up nearly £30 up. Not bad for a Saturday out!

No comments: